Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
eon8 (dubbed eOWNED8 by Saiyan Pezhead) was a social experiment seeing how people react to lack of information. It started as a website with a mysterious countdown, counting down to 12 AM EDT on July 1, 2006 (9 PM PDT, June 30, 2006). It also included a map of "deployment sites", lots of meaningless "codes", and a sort of hidden list of "unauthorized refers", websites that had linked to the countdown. Several theories of what the countdown or the site as a whole was for included:
- The apocalypse (Although this theory was entertained jokingly)
- Terrorism, especially the launching of missles or deployment of a virus
- Viral advertising, especially for the new James Bond movie, Halo 3, or the Phantom video game console
- An alternate reality game, probably serving as the aformentioned advertising
- Social experimentation (which was, obviously, correct)
- Just a big internet prank
Eon8 became a large Board 8 fad in late June, near the end of the countdown, mostly started by Crossfiyah. However, word on GameFAQs of the site started at the Paranormal/Conspiracy board. A special episode of Kosmo Radio was made in light of this new event, which began over an hour before the timer ended and ended a few minutes after the timer went off. This episode was significant because it had over 100 listeners, including several from LUE and Paranormal/Conspiracy.